The Club History
The club was founded in 1894 and first played on a course on Minsceugh Moor on the Colby side of the town. In 1903 the present golf club was founded on Brackenber Moor the site of today's course.
The former Open Champion Willie Fernie of Troon was invited to lay out the course which he did making use of the natural contours of the moor. The Manchester Guardian thought Mr Fernie had done an excellent job and described the new course as a champion's course and "The Sunningdale of the North". The club first hosted the County Championship in 1913 and since then the Championship has been played here several times. County matches are also played here as are County Senior and County Junior matches and Ladies' County matches.